Friday, October 26, 2007

China mooning on the moon

Today in my class the students were discussing China's launch of a satellite which is supposed to orbit the Moon.

I was about to ask the question of whether the satellite would actually land on the Moon, but then I thought that the verb 'to land' has some exclusive 'Earth-like' connotations, so on the spur of the moment I had nothing better to say than: "So is China going to moon on the Moon?"

I do not know how to wittingly connect my slip of the tongue with the possible repercussions of the event, but in the meantime I follow the news with a certain degree of interest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There is almost a complete lack of coverage of this event, and China's declaration to go to the moon here in the US. I wonder what that says about the US.

12:54 AM, October 27, 2007

 
Blogger Serge said...

Here in China it is a big event, and everyone is proud as they get, and it is viewed as yet another feat of the one who leads. I am not sure what's the US coverage but your feedback shows that the US is contemplating... My wife keeps asking the question if the US allowed that or how the US would look at it, and all I can say is that no one owns the moon, but everybody is watching.

6:04 PM, October 28, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home