Monday, December 24, 2007

Economic implications of ophthalmology and Ho Art from Zhuhai

I often get this thing when I am switching over to new spectacles, - the world suddenly acquires a certain unexpected twist – things seem smaller, the perspective shrinks, and when I attempt to pick up a cup I'm only grabbing the air near the actual thingy. On the other hand, my shoes begin to look frightfully large - perhaps because the earth now seems to be closer due to the shriveled reality, bringing my huge paws right under my nose. Good old things I used to take for granted are no longer the same.

But, amusingly, this seems to work with economy as well. For example, today we went to that Japanese supermarket, Jusco, and all the things I was used to, have contracted - amazing what new specs could do to you! The 5.50 bread became smaller, though the price tag stayed the same. The way pizza slices look also kinda shrunk, though check this out - the weird thing is that the size contraction is somehow selective - earlier when I bought two slices of pizza they used to stick out of the individual package box like two happy overflowing symbols of cornucopia, held in place by the plastic wrap, daring me to eat them while they were still hot and throbbing with baked cheese, and it warmed my heart to just hold so much tasty food. But today - who could have believed! - the pieces snugly fitted into that plastic container, nothing bulging over the edges, and the packages no longer sang the silent song of plenty - my question is then, did they start using larger containers, since the price stayed the same?!

And hey, what's up with the frozen salmon? - a hearty chunk of the tasty fish flesh used to cost about 20 yuan, and now smaller-looking sorry pieces go for 30. Oh the danger of changing your specs...

At the end I will enlighten your holiday spirit with the picture of a store here in Zhuhai. It's either the first jingle of Santa is coming to town, or one of the two.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nooyawka said...

Fascinating blog. Will you be at the Olympics. Lots of translation wor there. If you can run fast, that's a plus too.

I've gone without my glasses for more than a year. Not worth the bother, if you ask me.

For my experiences in India roughly equivalent to yours in China, see my blog: newyorkdudeinindia.blogspot.com

I Technorati faved you BTW

10:54 PM, January 12, 2008

 
Anonymous polish interpreters said...

This blog is very informative and knowledgeable. Looking forward to read more from you.

polish interpreters

6:33 AM, December 16, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home