Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Fall semester

Here I go again.
Changed the school, leaving the
Quanzhou Normal University (and here), which was (and still hopefully is) situated on the outskirts of the ancient city of Quanzhou - where the maritime Silk Way embarked on its journey to the west, and where Marco Polo reportedly stepped ashore in his discoveries of China - the picture below reveals a part of the historical monument commemorating the ground-breaking commercial act of selling a gourd to a big-nosed laowai
And moved to the south-west - Guandong Province, Zhuhai city - that's right on the border with Macao. The school is more or less ok, the name is Sun Yat Sen University. I am getting accustomed to the new rules, which are way more demanding. It's the Translation and Interpretation Department, which lured me in there in the first place.
The Muse is not going to visit me any time soon it seems, so instead of my usual florid garrulity I may offer some visual impressions of my first weeks in China after the trip to Russia.

This is the administrative building of the Sun Yat Sen University (Zhuhai campus) - especially noteworthy is the skyward staircase between the buildings which took my breath away the moment I stepped on campus.

Most of my travels around South China I made on a sleeper bus - overnight journeys shared with many a friend of mine - and I finally captured the image of a shabby one at the Zhuhai bus station. I gather a double-decker might have been more suitable for the agenda. But so far we are cramming it on a compact basis.

An amazing design of a tap without knobs the likes of which I have never seen anywhere - at a friend's kitchen. Start it up by turning it over the sink. Intriguing technologies

Another thing that kept me amazed and not bored this week is the French supermarket Carrefour with helpful posters written in French, no less. We checked at that counter, they gave us nothing.

And here I am taking a break from the demanding task of enlightening future translators and interpreters. The fat bastard that I am. Chinese food and starry nights with the device featured at the bottom of the picture make the mind wander off from the necessities of getting a grip on my-self and squeezing the same hedonistic self into the Spartan life style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home